Jessie Lawrence is an attorney, mediator, and planner with a solo practice based in Santa Fe, NM focusing on dispute resolution, public engagement and participation, and community and organizational planning. In more than 15 years of practice, Jessie has mediated hundreds of cases in a wide variety of areas, and focuses her work on helping groups of all sizes work together and identify ways to move forward and seek positive outcomes. She works in both the public and private sectors and instructs courses in land use and in dispute resolution. Jessie serves on the State of NM Statewide ADR Commission, the NM State Bar ADR Steering Committee, and the City of Santa Fe Planning Commission, and co-chairs the ABA Section of Dispute Resolution’s Committee on Public Policy, Consensus Building, and Democracy.
Jessie has a JD and a master’s degree in urban planning from the University of Michigan, maintains NM and MI law licenses, and is an AICP-certified planner.
Lawrence Meeting Resources, Santa Fe, NM 2008-Present
- Facilitate meetings to create effective collaborative processes, with a focus on organizations’ and communities’ planning and visioning needs.
- Mediate disputes between individuals and groups.
- Prepare clear and concise meeting documents and reports.
- Conduct trainings in mediation and leadership skills.
- Recent facilitation contracts and clients include Santa Fe National Forest, Intel Community Environmental Working Group, City of Albuquerque, and New Mexico Philharmonic.
- Recent reporting/writing clients include the Santa Fe Association of Realtors and Rancho Viejo Partnership.
- Contract mediator for the City of Albuquerque and the NM Children’s Court Mediation Program.
- Settlement facilitator for the New Mexico First Judicial District Court.
Management Analyst, Planning & Special Projects, NM Department of Finance & Administration / Local Government Division, Santa Fe, NM 2007-2008
- Managed Infrastructure Capital Improvement Planning program for local governments and state agencies. Advised communities on nature and use of facilities planning, coordinated plans, and used plans to assist state with capital outlay process and spending decisions.
- Presented on planning statewide, including annual presentations to local planning professionals.
- Managed planning-related projects, including state contracts and intra-agency planning.
- Managed staff handling special contracts and projects including youth mentoring, civil legal services, and annexations.
Planner, Architectural Research Consultants, Albuquerque, NM 2005-2007
- Teamed with other planners on community plans including a Southwest Area Strategic Plan for the City of Albuquerque, space needs planning for a Bernalillo County Master Plan, and a growth management plan for San Juan County.
- Conducted growth analyses and enrollment projections for school districts across New Mexico as part of school district facility master plans.
- University of New Mexico School of Law — Mediation Training Coursework, 2010 and 2014
- University of Michigan College of Architecture and Urban Planning — MUP, 2004
- University of Michigan Law School — JD, 2003
- University of Michigan — AB in Psychology with Honors, Mathematics Minor, 2000
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), 2016
- New Mexico State Bar, 2007
- Michigan State Bar, 2004
- Educator on Santa Fe Land Use, Santa Fe Association of Realtors Santa Fe Specialist Designation, 2019-2020.
- Presented NM land use law update at 2019 and 2020 Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute.
- Presented on mediating political divides at 2019 New Mexico State Bar annual conference.
- Spoke on panel, “Applying Mediation Skills to Assist Divided Communities,” at 2019 Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference.
- Led speaker panel on mediation and negotiation techniques for planners at 2019 Western Planner / APA New Mexico conference.
- Moderated speaker panel titled “Who are the Clients in Dispute System Design? The Impact of Context and Culture” at 2019 ABA Dispute Resolution Section Conference.
- Moderated speaker panel on legal constraints on public engagement at 2018 ABA Dispute Resolution Section Conference.
- Moderated speaker panel on attorneys in family systems mediations at 2017 NM Children’s Law Institute.
- Moderated speaker panel on facilitation as a tool in land use disputes at 2013 Santa Fe Neighborhood Law Conference.
Memberships & Volunteer Activities
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution – Co-Chair, Public Policy, Consensus Building, and Democracy Committee
- New Mexico Statewide ADR Commission – Member
- New Mexico Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee – Steering Committee Member
- City of Santa Fe Planning Commission – Member
- University of Michigan Alumni Association – Alumni Student Recruitment Volunteer
- American Planning Association, New Mexico Chapter – Member
- New Mexico First Judicial District Bar Association – Member