Jessie Lawrence is an attorney, mediator, and planner with a solo practice based in Santa Fe, NM focusing on dispute resolution, public engagement and participation, community and organizational planning, and land use issues. In more than 15 years of practice, Jessie has mediated hundreds of cases in a wide variety of areas, including land use, environmental issues, corporate governance, employment, and family law, and has instructed classes in dispute resolution and in land use. She focuses her work on helping groups of all sizes collaborate and identify ways to move forward and seek positive outcomes, and she brings problem-solving and a long-term perspective to all of her work. Jessie serves on the State of NM Statewide ADR Commission and the City of Santa Fe Planning Commission, and she co-chairs the NM State Bar ADR Committee and the ABA Section of Dispute Resolution’s Public Disputes and Consensus Building Committee.
Jessie has a JD and a master’s degree in urban planning from the University of Michigan, maintains NM and MI law licenses, and is an AICP-certified planner.
Dispute Resolution and Planning Experience
Solo Practitioner, Jessica Eaton Lawrence, Attorney and Mediator / Lawrence Meeting Resources, Santa Fe, NM 2008-Present
- Represent clients and mediate disputes between individuals and groups in areas including community development, family law, child welfare law, environmental issues, and housing.
- Facilitate meetings to create effective collaborative processes, with a focus on governmental organization and community strategic planning needs.
- Provide legal representation and advice to clients as appropriate.
- Mediator for corporate boards, including strategic plan development.
- Contract mediator for the City of Albuquerque and the NM Administrative Office of the Courts.
- Contract facilitator for Intel Community Environmental Working Group.
- Contract settlement facilitator with New Mexico First Judicial District Court Foreclosure Settlement Program.
- Educator on Santa Fe Land Use, Santa Fe Association of Realtors Santa Fe Specialist Designation.
Vice President, Los Atrevidos Inc., Santa Fe, NM 2019-2021
- Hired to assist with implementation of plans as part of facilitation process.
- Oversaw existing business operations and prepared analyses and plans for future actions.
- Worked with state and local governmental officials and community developers to plan development, including plan development, community engagement, and expediting land use approvals.
- Managed communications to board and investors.
Management Analyst, Planning & Special Projects, NM Department of Finance & Administration / Local Government Division, Santa Fe, NM 2007-2008
- Managed Infrastructure Capital Improvement Planning program for local governments and state agencies. Advised communities on nature and use of facilities planning, coordinated plans, and used plans to assist state with capital outlay process and spending decisions.
- Presented on planning statewide, including annual presentations to local planning professionals.
- Managed planning-related projects, including state contracts and intra-agency planning.
- Managed staff handling special contracts and projects including youth mentoring, civil legal services, and annexations.
Planner, Architectural Research Consultants, Albuquerque, NM 2005-2007
- Teamed with other planners on community plans including a Southwest Area Strategic Plan for the City of Albuquerque, space needs planning for a Bernalillo County Master Plan, and a growth management plan for San Juan County.
- Conducted growth analyses and enrollment projections for school districts across New Mexico as part of school district facility master plans.
- MIT SA+P Short Course — Data Science in Real Estate Course, 2020
- University of New Mexico School of Law — Mediation Training Coursework, 2010 and 2014
- University of Michigan College of Architecture and Urban Planning — MUP, 2004
- University of Michigan Law School — JD, 2003
- University of Michigan — AB in Psychology with Honors, Mathematics Minor, 2000
Professional Licenses, Certifications, and Honors
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, 2020
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), 2016
- New Mexico State Bar, 2007
- Michigan State Bar, 2004
- Educator on Santa Fe Land Use, Santa Fe Association of Realtors Santa Fe Specialist Designation, 2019-2021.
- Spoke on panel, “Dispute Resolution Pandemic Pivot: Systems Design for Socioeconomic Inequality Issues,” at 2021 ABA Dispute Resolution Section Conference.
- Presented NM land use law update at Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute, 2019-2021.
- Presented on mediating political divides at 2019 New Mexico State Bar annual conference.
- Spoke on panel, “Applying Mediation Skills to Assist Divided Communities,” at 2019 Association for Conflict Resolution annual conference.
- Led speaker panel on mediation and negotiation techniques for planners at 2019 Western Planner / APA New Mexico conference.
- Moderated speaker panel, “Who are the Clients in Dispute System Design? The Impact of Context and Culture” at 2019 ABA Dispute Resolution Section Conference.
- Moderated speaker panel on legal constraints on public engagement at 2018 ABA Dispute Resolution Section Conference.
- Moderated speaker panel on attorneys in family systems mediations at 2017 NM Children’s Law Institute.
- Moderated speaker panel on facilitation as a tool in land use disputes at 2013 Santa Fe Neighborhood Law Conference.
Memberships & Volunteer Activities
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution – Co-Chair, Public Disputes and Consensus Building Committee, 2015-2022
- New Mexico Statewide ADR Commission – Member
- New Mexico Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee – Co-Chair, 2020-2022
- City of Santa Fe Planning Commission – Member, 2019-2022
- University of Michigan Alumni Association – Alumni Student Recruitment Volunteer, 2008-2022
- American Planning Association, Planning & Law Division – Chair, Smith-Babcock-Williams Student Writing Competition, 2021
- American Planning Association, New Mexico Chapter – Member
- New Mexico First Judicial District Bar Association – Member